June 30, 2020

Constant Interruption.

Why do you think kids cannot focus these days?
We may want to see something but then, there is an interruption.
Ad, after Ad, after Ad.
As if consumerism isn't enough to invade our material world, it now invades our mental world.

We may want to focus on something, but then someone interrupts the quiet.

GQ's interview with Brad Pitt in October 2019 addresses the inability for people to focus.
"He said these days he felt like he was sometimes watching the movies he loved just vanish from the consciousness. “I love a slow, contemplative film—I grew up on the drive-in and whatever movies we could see, and that's where we had three television channels. So I look at youth today, and they absorb so much information and seem to like it more in quick bursts and don't have necessarily the palate to sit two hours for a film. They would rather watch a series for a quick bit, and then they can follow another one if they want to or move on to something else. So I'm very curious. I'm no longer shocked now when I ask a 20-year-old, ‘Have you seen The Godfather?’ And they say no. ‘Have you seen Cuckoo's Nest?’ No. And I wonder if they ever will. So that's where I go, ‘Ooh, is there a future to film? What will survive?’ ”

Brad Pitt, Steven Hall (me), pencil/graphite on A4, 2020 : Art

Were you distracted?



No comments:

Post a Comment